What does a weevil look like?
There are many types of weevils that have different types and shapes; most of these species are slender or oval in shape; their length ranges from 3 mm to over 10 mm. Its color is dark brown and black. Weevils feed on plants so some of them can be extremely damaging to crops. There is a type of weevil called a grain weevil that infects grains.
How can weevils be transmitted to my home?
Weevils can infiltrate the house through holes and cracks in the walls, but usually weevils enter the house through canned foods and food products, and because their eggs are small and almost invisible, it is easy to buy infested goods without realizing it. Grain weevils infect starches and grains such as pasta, rice, flour, etc. And it may infest fruit trees in your garden.
How dangerous are weevils?
Weevils feed on the substances they infect, but the worst of this is the contamination of foods with their faeces and skins. Thus, the food that it has contaminated becomes unfit for human use. Weevils contaminate infected foods with their faeces and skin, causing more damage than they eat.
There are types of weevils that feed mainly on stored grains such as (cowpea weevil, grain weevil, rice weevil), which causes great damage.
How do I get rid and avoid the presence of weevils?
- Check all beans upon purchase, production date and storage conditions.
- Freeze the grain for at least a week to kill any eggs that may hatch and grow an adult mite.
- Buy grain as needed and consume them within a short period of time. There’s no need to buy pounds of grain and stock up on it.
- If you have to stock up on grains, consume the oldest first, then the newest.
- Store grains and foodstuffs in airtight glass, metal, or plastic containers, not paper or plastic bags, because weevils easily penetrate the bags.
- Seal cracks and openings in walls and clean shelves regularly.
- Small black peppercorns can repel grain weevils.
- Vacuuming is a quick way to remove weevils from walls and furniture. Make sure to empty the broom in a safe way so that the weevils do not spread elsewhere.
- Get rid of the garbage bags in which the infested products were placed.
- Inspect the crops for weevils, and as soon as they find them or find signs of them, be sure to get rid of them quickly before they multiply and cause disaster!
When the weevils infested, it can come in large numbers. Often homeowners in this situation need a dedicated team. In Storm, we can address the issue and eliminate it and any kind of insects or pests that bother you. We have a specialized team capable of solving all these problems. Just get in touch and let us do the rest.